Detection of the 16S rRNA gene from pathogenic and specific pathogenic Leptospira species.
Background: The spirochaetal Leptospira genus consists of pathogenic species (L. interrogans, L. noguchii, L. weilii, L. kirschneri, L. alexanderi, L. borgpetersenii, L. santarosai, L. kmetyi, Leptospira genomospecies 1), of intermediately pathogenic species (L. inadai, L. fainei, L. broomii, L. licerasiae, L. wolffii) and of non- pathogenic species (L. biflexa, L. meyeri, L. wolbachii, Leptospira genomospecies 3, 4 and 5). Members of Leptospira can also be grouped into serovars. Currently over 200 serovars are recognized in the genus Leptospira and a few serovars are found in more than one species of Leptospira. Non-pathogenic species are saprophytes and can grow outside the host animal, while pathogenic Leptospira species cause leptospirosis. They affect many mammalian species, including humans. Animals may become unapparent carriers, and shedding of leptospires, primarily in the urine, serves as a source of infection for other animals and humans. The clinical signs associated with leptospirosis are variable and depend on the infecting serovar. Leptospires are present in the blood during the first 5 to 10 days after disease onset.
Description: BactoReal® Kit Leptospira spp. (16S rDNA) uses real-time PCR for the detection of the 16S rRNA gene of pathogenic and intermediately pathogenic Leptospira spp. Our carefully designed primers and probe ensure highest sensitivity and specificity. The kit consists of an assay mix for the detection of the pathogen as well as a positive control and an internal positive control (IPC). To minimize PCR cross-contamination, the reaction mix included contains dUTP and uracil-N glycosylase (UNG).
- Amplification and detection: 16S rRNA gene of Leptospira spp.
- Real-time PCR with rapid hot-start Taq DNA polymerase
- ROX™ dye as passive reference
- Internal Positive Control System to exclude false-negative results
- Optimized to handle PCR inhibitors
- PCR- platforms: runs on all established standard real-time PCR- platforms
- Harmonized thermal profiles to run RNA and DNA samples simultaneously
- Available formats: Kit (with reaction mix) or assay-only