Background: The spirochaetal Leptospira genus consists of pathogenic species (L. interrogans, L. noguchii, L. weilii, L. kirschneri, L. alexanderi, L. borgpetersenii, L. santarosai, L. kmetyi, Leptospira genomospecies 1), of intermediately pathogenic species (L. inadai, L. fainei, L. broomii, L. licerasiae, L. wolffii) and of non- pathogenic species (L. biflexa, L. meyeri, L. wolbachii, Leptospira genomospecies 3, 4 and 5). Members of Leptospira can also be grouped into serovars. Currently over 200 serovars are recognized in the genus Leptospira and a few serovars are found in more than one species of Leptospira. Non-pathogenic species are saprophytes and can grow outside the host animal, while pathogenic Leptospira species cause leptospirosis. They affect many mammalian species, including humans. Animals may become unapparent carriers, and shedding of leptospires, primarily in the urine, serves as a source of infection for other animals and humans. The clinical signs associated with leptospirosis are variable and depend on the infecting serovar and the susceptibility of the animal. Leptospires are present in the blood during the first 5 to 10 days after onset of the disease. Only pathogenic Leptospira species express an outer membrane lipoprotein encoded by the LipL32 gene.
Description: BactoReal® Kit Leptospira spp. Multiplex (16S+LipL32) uses multiplex real-time PCR for the detection and differentiation of the LipL32 gene of pathogenic Leptospira species as well as of the 16S rDNA gene of both intermediately pathogenic and pathogenic Leptospira species. Our carefully designed primers and probe ensure highest sensitivity and specificity. The kit consists of an assay mix for the detection of the pathogen as well as a positive control and an internal positive control (IPC). To minimize PCR cross-contamination,the reaction mix included contains dUTP and uracil-N glycosylase (UNG).
- Amplification and detection: 16S rDNA gene and LipL32 gene of Leptospira spp.
- Real-time PCR with rapid hot-start Taq DNA polymerase
- ROX™ dye as passive reference
- Internal Positive Control System to exclude false-negative results
- Optimized to handle PCR inhibitors
- PCR- platforms: runs on all established standard real-time PCR- platforms
- Harmonized thermal profiles to run RNA and DNA samples simultaneously
- Kits format: 100 reactions or 50 reactions
- Channel Target: FAM & VIC/HEX; Channel IPC: Cy5